The various Google brands are looking back on 2017, and YouTube is revealing its most viewed videos of the year. In the gaming category, familiar blockbusters filled out the top 10, but it is mobile games that dominated the top of the chart, with Clash of Clans and Despicable Me: Minion Rush taking two of the top three spots.
Here’s the full list of the most-viewed game trailers on YouTube in 2017:
- Clash of Clans: Hog Rider 360°, 58.0 million views
- Official Call of Duty: WWII Reveal Trailer, 21.8 million views
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush – Google Play Trailer, 18.4 million views
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: Official Gameplay Trailer, 14.2 million views
- Destiny 2 – “Rally the Troops” Worldwide Reveal Trailer, 12.9 million views
- Minecraft: Better Together Update is now live! Togetherness ACTIVATED!, 11.8 million views
- Halo Wars 2 War of Wits: The Sale, 11.3 million views
- GTA Online: Smuggler’s Run Trailer, 10.8 million views
- The Avengers Project Announcement Trailer, 8.7 million views
- PES 2017 Mobile Launch Trailer, 8.6 million views
If you’re looking for my Hot Take on this list, I’d point out that some of the biggest and most successful console games of the year aren’t even on here. Nintendo releases like Zelda and Mario or Ubisoft hits like Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands and For Honor didn’t make the cut. The best-selling release of 2017 so far (at least through October), Destiny 2, is on here, but it’s only No. 5 behind Star Wars: Battlefront II, Call of Duty: WWII, and the aforementioned mobile games.
More than anything, this list shows the power of YouTube’s younger audience. I have never even heard of Despicable Me: Minion Rush. I didn’t know it was a thing, and it doesn’t even look like it is all that successful. In terms of revenue, it is barely in the top 1,000 highest-grossing iOS games, according to App Annie. It’s possible that the trailer just showed up in YouTube’s autoplay algorithm for kids looking up “minions” videos.
The rest of the list is mostly popular franchises — although it’s worth pointing out the ongoing popularity of Minecraft and GTA Online.